Week 3-Comments on Reflections from the Introduction of Blogs and RSS Feeds
(West and Wright, et. al)
The authors research centered around a class whose focus “was not on technology skills, but on learning and applying appropriate technology integration principles to specific teaching situations” (page 55). This a key point when integrating technology tools into the learning process, both in elearning and face-to-face scenarios.
Technology tools, like blogs and RSS feeds are just that-tools. When integrating the use of technology tools into the learning process, instructor’s need to make sure that students first understand how to use the tools, and how they can be used most effectively for the purpose of learning. As an instructor, it is important to decide the purpose for the use of technology tools within the course first and then structure activities to take advantage of what the technologies provide, this point being made by the authors. Instructors should also “model effective blogging for students so they can understand how the tools all tie together” as they should do with any technology tool they are introducing in the classroom.
West and Wright write that “blogging is not always about communicating well developed ideas, but rather ideas that are still being developed that might benefit from comments, communication with others” (page 59).
My conclusion and plan for application after reading this article is this: as I respond to the readings for this course, I would like to post smaller, more pointed comments that will hopefully spark ideas and responses from others. The blog will then grow on its own based on one comment after another.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hi Della! It does seem that when there are new technologies involved we forget some pretty basic things - like not defining the purpose of the tool, or how to use the tool most effectively.
I like your personal application. I too have been thinking about how to edit my posts for a reading audience / discussion purposes. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Sheri & Della -
I think this is a great idea! I would love to see how people follow up on this. Keep me posted.
I read a lot of blogs and I've found that the blogs that get the most comments are ones that post a question at the end. Most of the time I think we have an underlining question, it's just a matter of putting it into words.
Post a Comment