Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Week 4 - Reflections on the E-Learning P3 Model

Good overview of the processes but mostly the individual roles that are required for the development and maintenance of elearning materials. My experience in higher education has been that often the multiple roles are filled by 2-3 individuals, with the instructor taking on design and development and updating of documents, while an IT person deals with technical maintenance. It would be interesting to have exposure to massive projects,on a large corporate scale, where I would envision all of the roles outlined in this article were in indeed filled by individuals. Would definately require a highly organized Project Manager!

3 comments:

Leisa said...

Hello Della,

I am in the same boat regarding the multiple roles being filled by 2-3 individuals.

We have a team of 8 instructors
who contribute their knowledge to our projects. However, I am the only Instructional Designer on the team.

We basically do it all, up to the technical maintenance. That is handled by our government customer.

I'm not sure I'd know how to act on a project with 35 roles!

P.S. Thanks for all of your encouragement!

Jodi Holzman said...

Hi Della,

Same here. It surprised me that the instructor doesn't play a bigger role in the P3 model. That definitely isn't the case at the organization where I work. In fact, the instructor does most of the content work, and in some cases, most of the design work as well. I think i might get a little bored if I was only involved in a small part of the whole process.

Unknown said...

It would have to be a big organization with a lot of money that believed that all these roles needed to be filled. In my experience companies are always trying to cut corners and the small team lands up doing everything.

It is nice to have staff that understands a little bit about the different roles but sometimes it's really nice to have an expert in every role as long as the team can communicate effectively.